Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gas

Oslo is taking your crap. They're not only taking it but propel you on your way with it.
I hate getting behind buses because of the smell. I can't help but wonder...

Today was a holiday so I went out riding. Weather was great. Rode over to the capital, visited a new bike shop and had some lunch.


On the way home I was taking the CCT out of Georgetown and heard some strange clicking noise on my front wheel. I slowed a tad to see if I could hear it better, leaning down a bit. I strayed a little but stayed in my lane. Stopping would have been too much to ask I suppose.

As I was concentrating on the noise a bunch of RT's (real bikers) were concentrating on giving it the gas, they came whizzing by me down the middle of the path. Not to the left but down the middle. Inches from me. One of them yelled "get the fuck over!" and when I said something like "huh?" another suggested I "learn how to ride!".



I'm not sure but I believe that being upright and going in a fairly straight line puts me in the category of riding. Perhaps there are maneuvers I've yet to master but I think if you were to see me going along you could say with confidence "he's riding a bicycle".

As to getting the fuck over, I hadn't the foggiest of where over was located. I could go over into the left lane but that's against the rules and would be bad form. Over to the right lay some nice grass but I wasn't on my mountain bike so he couldn't want me to go there. As much as I would have liked to help I simply did not have enough data to work with.

However I am gifted with a singular wit and so I offered that they should just get in fucking cars and be done with it. I thought this clearly a notch above "YOU learn how to ride!" and I was feeling rather pleased with myself when one of the last ones posed a question. "What did you say?" he inquired.

For some reason my wit went from singular to dim and I muttered some inanity at which point a few more pleasantries were exchanged and then they stepped on the gas and were gone.

Ah, so that's what they mean by learning how to ride.

Another beautiful day in the nations capital.

No comments:

Post a Comment